Skip to main content

When you try to make lemonade with life's lemons

If you have no sugar, then the lemonade is really just watery lemon juice. I can't imagine how this is supposed to be a motivational phrase for people. I mean I get the point is supposed to be making something pleasant from something sour and gross,  but honestly what if you can't afford the sugar to make it less gross. The same goes for life to be honest, what do you do when you can't afford to leave your shitty job and can't try because you work 80 hour weeks? Or conversely, what if you are disabled enough not to be able to keep a job but the government doesn't classify you as disabled enough to need a disability check. Yes, this conversation has just taken a turn. Today I am going to complain about how hard fibromyalgia makes it to support any decent standard of living independency.

I have had fibromyalgia for about 7 years now  and I was born with bilateral hip dysplacia but no one caught it till just 2 years ago when I became symptomatic. I already am inevitably going to need approximately twenty-two thousand dollars in surgery with two years of time to heal from it but that isn't the most tricky part of the situation. Fibromyalgia pain makes it near impossible to hold a steady job of any kind. The flares are not job intense burning pain, for a lot of people including me, they also entail these giant waves of memory lapses and overall unclear feelings of foggy sogginess. When you get a flare nothing is going to stop it or make it shorter, you have to ride it out and pray to God you don't make any mistakes till it ends. If its a pain flare, you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Employer's are not so forgiving about you being incapacitated for weeks at a time, so you either have to push yourself thru the agony or you can ask for the time and expect your eventual pinkslip to come in the next few months. If you have fibro at a severe level like I do none of this is good news, I need a job to pay for. medication. My job makes me ill so I need time away from it to heal. The more time I have to stay away from my job the less likely it is I can pay for my medications. The more time I'm at my job the more I need to take medication and the less likely I'll be able to move the next day.

Some people out there like to leave suggestions on the internet about what jobs are the best suited for a person who has fibro. I have desperately looked thru all of them and here is what I have to say about it: They are all bullshit. Taking a job as a driver is a bad idea because you have to sit all day, which can aggravate your back and cause a flare. A career in software development gives you some flexibility on where and when you work, but it is a very stressful job. You have to be able to focus, you have to be detailed, and you have tp be able to meet a deadline. The pay is great but your hours will be long even after you have a hang of what you do, being a developer is a terrible choice of career for fibromyalgia. Most other desk jobs require you to remain seated too long. Most physically intense jobs are no good for the obvious reason that you are too active.  The long list of people that say filling out online surveys for a living is a good idea for fibromyalgia patients obviously don't realize how expensive the supplements and prescriptions actually are. One does not pay for two hundred dollars of medication with 10 bucks from the 60 surveys you did this month. It is ridiculously hard to find a good way to support yourself when you have something like fibromyalgia. I cannot file for disability easily because of being too young either. If on the off chance that I do find a job that won't leave me bed ridden and/or balding(Yes my current work is making my hair fall out badly) or crying every morning I'll post it so others don't suffer as much fustration trying to find it..

Comments